the prettiest star

Laugh now, but one day we'll be in charge.

Sunday, June 5

Books


Home has been an interesting experience so far. Sadly Big Brother 6 is taking up alarming chunks of my time- I love Saskia. Aside from that, I wandered half dressed in the rain while my car had an MOT, I witnessed my father's girlfriend destroy some perfetly good veggies, and I resumed The Plan.

I also got accosted by a group of middle aged men. No, scrap that. They were old. I was accosted by a group of old men last night. Me and Rachel were clearly having a conversation, and were not giving anyone the eye, the come on, or any 'signals'. Yet we were propositioned by a harem of office workers on night release, who promised a night of 'hotness'. I told Mr Hotness, that seeing as I was only 19, and he is what, about 90?, that a night of geriatric love was about as appealing as a long cold drink of battery acid. I said should our quest for a fit young thing fall through, I'd be in touch, but that frankly there was more chance of me beating myself to death with an old shoe.

Honestly, why do they bother? Personally, I wouldn't date anyone older than around 24, I just don't do older guys. Perhaps I should put it on a t-shirt? 'If there's a chance you could have fathered me, then please piss off- this girl buys her own drinks, drives her own car, pays her own bills'.

My mother and her complete loon of a boyfriend woke me up at 8am this morning by playing some loud Spanish folk music. I opened my bedroom door and made some incoherable noise about it being the middle of the night, etc, only to be met by a barrage of Spanish abuse. Someone's going to get hurt....

PJ passed this to me. Do go and read his blog, he, like most British people, is super cool.

Estimate the total number of books you’ve ever owned in your life?
Oh crap, about 500.

What’s the last book you bought?
On Friday I bought Bridget Jones, The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding; Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells; and House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende.

What’s the last book you read?
I finished Divine Secrets this morning. Absolutely amazing book.

List 5 books that mean a lot to you.

1.The Buddha Of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi
- An ex gave me this, and my copy is so battered and worn, it's my favourite book. The protagonist, Karim, has one British parent, and one foreign parent, and a younger brother. His Dad leaves for another woman, and Karim has to deal with a lot of shit. It's so funny, and the family is just like mine, it helped me so much to cope with my parents, and their divorce and everything. I read this book all the time and never get bored of it.
2.White Teeth by Zadie Smith- This is also about mixing cultures, and I love all the different stories and time periods in it. It's such a funny book with some amazing characters in it.

3.Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson- Part of my love for this book stems from the fact that it's set in the north, and I love northern humour. The things it exposes about religion are extremely revealing, and the fact that I don't believe in religion helped me identify with it.

4.The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath- I did an essay on this, and compared it to Oranges, above. A very powerful book.

5.One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- I think this is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It covers so much and yet I found every bit incredibly interesting. It's a little bit of Colombian history, and there are a lot of characters, but they remind me of my mother's family.

I know, I'm supposed to pass this on, but just anyone who feels like doing it, do it.